Las Vegas Sun

September 18, 2014

Currently: 97° — Complete forecast | Log in

This is a press release submitted to the Las Vegas Sun. It has not been verified or edited by the Sun.

Press Release

Senior receives an academic and athletic scholarship to Rocky Mountain College

Published on Mon, Feb 4, 2013 (2:01 p.m.)

NEVADA STATE HIGH SCHOOL SENIOR RECEIVES AN ACADEMIC AND ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP TO ROCKY MOUNTAIN COLLEGE.
Jessica Raymond, NSHS Student Body President, receives a prestigious scholarship to attend Rocky Mountain College this fall.

Henderson, NV - January 28, 2013 – Nevada State High School Senior, Jessica Raymond, received a $5,000 athletic scholarship and a $10,500 academic scholarship from Rocky Mountain College in Billings Montana. Jessica plans to major in accounting.

During Jessica’s high school career, she was NSHS student body President, a member of the National Honor Society, Team Captain at her home school Basic High School cross country team, and she placed second in cross country Regionals in 2012.

After receiving a recommendation from a friend, Jessica enrolled in NSHS her junior year of high school. She has since earned 25.5 college credits towards a bachelor’s degree in accounting while working to obtain her high school diploma. “Attending Nevada State High School’s early-college program provided me with an opportunity to [mature] before I get to college,” said Jessica.

Every day, NSHS addresses one of the most pressing needs in our community by making sure that every teen—regardless of income or background—has the opportunity to learn and excel in academics. We make a meaningful, enduring impact in the lives of teens and families and ultimately strengthen our community by graduating students who are college ready needing no college remedial courses.

“I had to try so much harder than I ever did in high school by taking college classes, which made me actually have to work for my grade,” Jessica explained. “NSHS prepared me for college life with every challenge [that I] had to accomplish, and [those experiences] prepared me enough to be able to receive a pretty good scholarship.”

NSHS was founded in the summer of 2003 to provide motivated high school students with the opportunity to attend real college classes with the support of the school, which helps students transition from high school to the college environment. Nevada State High School serves only 11th and 12th grade students and graduates about 110 students a year, and about 90 percent go onto a four-year college in and outside of the state of Nevada, NSHS Executive Director, Dr. John Hawk said.

Current sophomores and juniors enrolled at Clark County public, private schools and those that are home-schooled are eligible to apply to NSHS to begin classes fall 2013. Information Sessions will be held through-out March, April and May. Check earlycollegenv.com for more information. Once accepted into the school, NSHS works with students on their college curriculum and personally enrolls students into college courses that work together with their respective CCSD high school’s coursework in order for students to receive dual credit for both high school and college courses. NSHS also works with students to keep them active in their zoned high school’s extracurricular activities to ensure that students don’t miss out on traditional high school experiences.

NSHS will hold information Sessions throughout March, April and May 2013 for prospective students and parents.

Where: NSHS, 233 N. Stephanie St., Henderson, NV 89014. 702-953-2600
When:

March 12th and 28th, 2013
5pm and 7pm

April 9th and 25th, 2013
5pm and 7pm

May 7th and 23rd, 2013
5pm and 7pm

###

About Nevada State High School
Nevada State High School is a public early-college charter school for juniors and seniors in high school. Students take college courses at universities and colleges in Nevada and those courses count for both high school and college credit. The best part about it – it’s free. NSHS pays for all fees, tuition, and textbooks. At NSHS, students not only attend college courses, but learn how to excel in them and their careers. 90% of our students continue their education at colleges and universities in and outside of Nevada. Our awards include: four Exemplary AYP designations awarded by the State of Nevada, and acknowledgement by the US News & World Report as a bronze level recipient for America’s Best High Schools, 2010 and a Silver 2011 recognition for Most Connected Classrooms 2011. www.earlycollegenv.com

Most Popular

• Viewed
  • Discussed
  • E-mailed