This is a press release submitted to the Las Vegas Sun. It has not been verified or edited by the Sun.
Vegas PBS Nationwide Research Confirms that PBS and Member Stations Are America’s Most Trusted Institution and an ‘Excellent’ Use of Tax Dollars for 11th Consecutive Year
Published on Mon, Mar 17, 2014 (6:14 p.m.)(Las Vegas – March 17, 2014) – Today, Vegas PBS General Manager Tom Axtell announced that during a time of significant increase in broadcast audience numbers and growing reach on digital platforms, PBS and its member stations were again named number 1 in trust among nationally known institutions, and called an “excellent” use of tax dollars by the American public in a national poll for the 11th year in a row. This same survey found that the American public considers PBS KIDS the most educational TV/media brand, the safest place for children to watch television, the safest online media destination, as well as the top provider of content that helps children learn reading, math and essential skills. PBS KIDS significantly outscored cable and commercial broadcast television in each one of these categories.
“With each program that we air, community service we provide or partnership organization that we support, Vegas PBS never wavers from its role as a trusted voice and secure source for education, exploration and empowerment for all Southern Nevadans,” said Axtell. “The results of this study show that we are connecting with our viewers, both children and adults, and making a significant impact on their journey to lifelong learning.”
In its capacity as an on-air and digital provider that enlightens and empowers, Vegas PBS operates a multi-cast television service; programs four additional cable and five EBS channels; manages a media library with more than 210,000 online and 16,000 on-the-shelf titles; an emergency communications data-casting service for police, fire fighters, hospitals, and schools; and a statewide Described and Captioned Media Center. An extensive Ready To Learn outreach program hosts more than 600 workshops a year attended by more than 100,000 people. Vegas PBS produces 20 local TV series and specials annually, plus extensive web content. Vegas PBS also offers extensive online distance education for workforce development and economic diversification through Global Online Advanced Learning (GOAL).
The research was conducted in January 2014 by the independent, non-partisan research firm ORC International. Each year, PBS commissions research to measure its performance and value as judged by its most important stakeholder – the American public.
Significant findings from the survey include:
PBS Ranks #1 in Public Trust – Significantly Higher Level of Trust Than Courts of Law
Four in five people trust PBS (80 percent “trust a great deal” or “trust somewhat”). The 2014 study marks the 11th time in a row that PBS was called the nation’s most-trusted institution among a consideration set that includes courts of law, newspapers, and others. The study found that respondents had a significantly higher level of trust in PBS (42 percent “trust a great deal”) over the nearest institution, courts of law (25 percent “trust a great deal”).
PBS Considered Top Use of Tax Dollars and “Money Well Spent”
• Only military defense outranked PBS as the best value for the American tax dollar. More than seven in 10 (71 percent) of those polled called PBS an “excellent” (19 percent) or “good” (52 percent) use of their tax dollars. Military defense was described as “excellent” or “good” by 73 percent (23 percent “excellent” or 50 percent “good”).
• More than three in four participants (77 percent) believe federal funding for PBS is money well spent.
PBS KIDS Called #1 Educational TV/Media Brand, Top Builder of Critical Skills, and Safest
On-Air and Online Destination
• More than four in 10 respondents (44 percent) named PBS KIDS the most educational TV/media brand, significantly outscoring the second most highly rated brand, Disney, which was considered most educational by 16 percent.
• Eighty-five percent (85 percent) agreed “strongly or somewhat” that PBS “helps children improve their reading and math skills.” Cable and commercial broadcast television received this rating from 47 percent and 42 percent of respondents, respectively.
• Eighty percent (80 percent) agreed “strongly or somewhat” that “PBS helps prepare children for success in school and life.” This statement was equated with cable television and commercial broadcast television by 47 percent and 33 percent of participants, respectively.
• Eighty-seven percent (87 percent) agreed “strongly or somewhat” that PBS “is a trusted and safe place for children to watch television.” Fifty-one percent and 49 percent of respondents agreed with this statement regarding commercial broadcast and cable television, respectively.
• More than three in four respondents (76 percent) agreed “strongly or somewhat” that PBS “is a trusted and safe place for children to visit online,” while this statement was attributed to cable television and commercial broadcasters by only 37 percent and 40 percent of the sample, respectively.
• Seventy-nine percent (79 percent) agreed “strongly or somewhat” that PBS is “the innovator” in children’s educational media. Forty-seven percent and 37 percent of participants also applied this statement to cable and commercial broadcast television, respectively.
Full results are available at http://to.pbs.org/most-trusted-2014. For complete survey methodology, including weighting variables, please contact Jan McNamara, PBS Corporate Communications, email@example.com or 703-739-5028.
# # #
About Vegas PBS
Dedicated to enriching the lives of those who call Southern Nevada home, Vegas PBS Channel 10 is one of America’s most watched PBS stations on a per capita basis. Five additional channels are available over the air or on cable and satellite including Create, Vme, Worldview, Rewind and Jackpot!
Vegas PBS expands its television broadcast impact through supplemental materials on Vegas PBS.org, PBS.org, PBSKids.org, PBSParents.org, PBSTeachers.org and NextAvenue.org. Vegas PBS also offers extensive online distance education for workforce development and economic diversification through Global Online Advanced Learning (GOAL).
Vegas PBS provides K-12 educational resources to teachers and students in public, private, charter and home schools including TeacherLine professional development courses; One Place, a curriculum-correlated online media service; the Described and Captioned Media Center (DCMC) containing materials for deaf, hard of hearing, blind and vision impaired individuals and those who assist them; and Ready To Learn literacy and health community workshops based on curriculum materials in daytime children’s programs.
For more information on programming and services, please visit VegasPBS.org, like us on Facebook at Facebook.com/VegasPBS, or follow us on Twitter at Twitter.com/VegasPBS.
- Developer spending millions to halt decay in L.V.’s Huntridge area
- Q+A: Las Vegas hotel exec moonlights as bestselling sex story author
- With Cahills calling shots, don’t count out Basic football in state semifinals
- With billions at stake, contractors eye bid to operate Nevada National Security Site
- Bus driver accused of sexual assault mistakenly released from jail