This is a press release submitted to the Las Vegas Sun. It has not been verified or edited by the Sun.
Collaboration Creates New Opportunity For Las Vegans In Need
Published on Tue, Jul 8, 2014 (12:32 p.m.)WHO: Bridge the gap for low-income and under employed individuals while supplementing
their SNAP benefits and food budgets with access to nutritious, fresh food and produce at no cost. The new food pantry is one of the first of its kind to allow clients to “shop” a variety of fresh produce, food items, baby formula, diapers and hygiene items in a
WHAT: Dedication of the Hands of Hope Community Food Pantry and ribbon cutting with
Mayor Carolyn Goodman. Two leading non-profits partner to create new opportunity for those who are less fortunate in our Las Vegas Community. The collaboration between Three Square Food Bank and Catholic Charities of Southern Nevada demonstrates our commitment to our community. Together we are taking steps to reduce food insecurity in southern Nevada.
WHEN: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 at 11:00 a.m.
WHERE: Catholic Charities of Southern Nevada, Social Services Program
1511 Las Vegas Blvd North, Las Vegas, NV 89101
Catholic Charities and Three Square Food Bank Enhanced Relationship
• Three Square team members volunteered their time at Catholic Charities on Thursday, April 24 for the organization’s annual Feast of Hope. The event featured a special free sit-down meal to thousands of clients who are often the most vulnerable in our community. Since 1965 Catholic Charities has served a free meal to those in need every day of the year.
• With the help of Three Square, Catholic Charities of Southern Nevada’s Hands of Hope Community Food Pantry was created to provide client choice with an emphasis on nutrition. Three Square helped stage the pantry to reflect a grocery store setting and increased food volume to include fresh fruits and vegetables, dairy and meats.
- MORE –
• Catholic Charities Social Services program and Hands of Hope Community Food Pantry recently extended hours of operation to Monday – Saturday 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
• Since the partnership began, Three Square services have helped to reduce food cost, which have resulted in more product (food) enhancements and variety for Catholic Charities of Southern Nevada’s dining room, food pantry and Meals on Wheels programs.
• These enhancements have made a significant impact on their ability to provide more nutritionally balanced meals for people who don’t normally have access to healthy, wholesome food. Catholic Charities of Southern Nevada is able to serve more clients, while treating them with dignity and compassion.
• Deacon Thomas Roberts, Catholic Charities’ President and CEO said: “We used to have 200,000 pounds of food to work with each year. Now, thanks to the heightened relationship with Three Square, we have increased that annual distribution to 2 million pounds of food.”
About Catholic Charities of Southern Nevada
Catholic Charities of Southern Nevada is one of the largest nonprofit social service providers in the state. CCSN offers over 20 diverse services designed to help people of all ages regardless of race, religion, or creed. For more information about Catholic Charities please visit: http://www.catholiccharities.com/ Connect with CCSN on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Catholic-Charities-of-Southern-Nevada/85125746703 and Twitter: @CathCharitiesLV
About Three Square Food Bank
Established in 2007 to provide hunger relief, Three Square Food Bank offers wholesome, nutritious food to non-profit and faith-based organizations, schools and feeding sites that serve a wide range of Southern Nevadans. A national model project inspired by Founder Eric Hilton with a grant provided by the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation, Three Square is a community collaborative partnership with businesses, non-profit agencies, food distributors, higher education institutions, the Clark County School District, governmental entities, the media and thousands of volunteers to efficiently and effectively serve hope to those in our community struggling with hunger. Three Square currently provides more than 30 million pounds of food and grocery product – the equivalent of more than 25 million meals – per year to more than 600 Program Partners. Three Square is a member of the Feeding America network of food banks. For additional information visit www.threesquare.org. For the latest news and events on Three Square, visit www.facebook.com/ThreeSquareFoodBank and follow them on Instagram (@threesquarelv) as well as Twitter (@threesquarelv).
- Gorman quarterback makes remarkable play, has 3 TDs in win against Santa Margarita
- Fire it up — Usher and Motley Crue sure did — on Night 1 of iHeartRadio Music Festival
- Bash of the Titans: Physical Palo Verde pushes past fellow power Las Vegas
- Project aimed at tackling truancy in CCSD gets underway next week
- Teen riding in truck bed critically injured in rollover crash; driver arrested