Las Vegas Sun

April 19, 2024

This is a press release submitted to the Las Vegas Sun. It has not been verified or edited by the Sun.

Press Release

Local Author Wants to Help Raise Student’s Reading Scores by Encouraging Summer Reading

Published on Fri, Jul 25, 2014 (11:26 a.m.)

Author and illustrator of the children’s book, I Love the Color Pink, The Adventures of Laci Macasey will encouage kids to read this summer along with sharing her writing experiences and lesson plans August 13, 2014 at the North Las Vegas Aliente Library from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., located at 2400 Deer Springs Way, North Las Vegas, Nevada. Monica Hatley-Carr will read her storybook as well as teach kids how to draw Laci Macasey and brainstorm story ideas. Attendees will also receive free bookmarks, a custom coloring sheet, and a Certificate of Participation.

The North Las Vegas Library District is dedicated to encouraging children and teens to participate in their annual Summer Reading Club. Carr, a Substitute Teacher in the Las Vegas Valley, is an advocate for literacy and is looking forward to sharing with children the importance of reading. “As a substitute teacher, I had the opportunity to review the test scores of many students and one trend I always noticed is most of their reading test scores drop between the Spring and Fall semester due to their summer break,” said Carr. “That’s why it’s so important to encourage kids to participate in programs like this. My presentation’s not just about reading my book, it’s about reading in general. It takes a village and WE being apart of that village must encourage all of Clark County students to pick up a book this summer and READ!”.

I Love the Color Pink, the Adventures of Laci Macasey focuses on the character, Laci Macasey, who loves the color pink so much, she wishes the entire world was her favorite color. The character, Laci Macasey, is based on the author’s real life niece. I Love the Color Pink, the Adventures of Laci Macasey, is available online at Barnes and Noble, Amazon, Google Books, and other book vendors. If you are interested in scheduling an interview, please call 702-907-LACI or send an email to [email protected].