Brookings Mountain West presents "The Return of Geopolitical Competition"
Brookings Mountain West presents “The Return of Geopolitical Competition and the Future of American Grand Strategy,” a talk by Thomas Wright, fellow, Foreign Policy.
One of the defining features of world politics since the financial crisis is the return of geopolitical competition. In North East Asia, China and Japan are locked in a struggle for control of the Senkaku/ Diaoyu Islands while relations between South Korea and Japan have deteriorated over history issues. In the Middle East, a proxy war is being fought over Syria and the region seems headed to a Cold War between Sunnis and Shias. In Eastern Europe, Russia successfully thwarted EU efforts to engage Armenia and Ukraine. In this lecture, Thomas Wright describes the return of geopolitics and argues that it will present new challenges for the global order and the United States. To address these challenges, the United States needs to adjust its grand strategy and engage deeply in East Asia and the Middle East.
This lecture is free and open to the public. No reservation or ticket required.
When: Wednesday, Feb. 19, 2014
THIS EVENT HAS PASSED
Where: UNLV Greenspun Hall, 4505 Maryland Parkway, Las Vegas
Cost: Not available
Age limit: All ages
Event posted Dec. 20, 2013
Last updated Dec. 20, 2013
- Red, White & Blue Vegan Cookout and Cuddles with Farm Animals Fundraiser
- Location is a private residence and will be disclosed after ticket purchase | 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Bryan Adams
- Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas | 19:00:00
- Steven Tyler
- The Venetian Resort Hotel Casino | 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Summerlin Council Patriotic Parade
- The Trails village of Summerlin, at Hillpointe Road and Hills Center Drive | 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Boulder City's Damboree Celebration
- Veterans' Memorial Park and Broadbent Park, Boulder City | 7 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
- Fireworks at Mission Hills Park
- Mission Hills Park | 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.