Las Vegas Sun

October 8, 2015

Currently: 89° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

County to delay coroner’s inquest until new ordinance in place

A coroner’s inquest into the August death of a man who was tased by Nevada Highway Patrol troopers has been postponed until a county ordinance revising the inquest process goes into effect.

Originally, the case of Eduardo Lopez-Hernandez was set to be heard Dec. 16. A new date has not yet been, county officials said.

Lopez-Hernandez died Aug. 25 at Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center shortly after being tased during a traffic stop on U.S. 95. near Charleston Boulevard.

Highway patrol officials, at the time of the incident, said Lopez-Hernandez had been driving erratically, and had struck at least one other vehicle before being pulled over. When Lopez-Hernandez got out of his car, he became violent with troopers, prompting the troopers to use a Taser, he said.

The inquest changes, approved by a 4-2 vote Tuesday by the Clark County Commission, will include allowing an ombudsperson to represent the deceased person’s family during hearings.

The changes also include calling the “jury” the “inquest panel.”

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy