Tuesday, June 8, 2010 | 12:50 p.m.
The Clark County Coroner’s Office has identified a man and woman found dead in a fire-damaged home Thursday as Carl Wagner, 77, and Linda Martino, 66, of Las Vegas.
Las Vegas Fire and Rescue spokesman Tim Szymanski said a neighbor called 911 to report smoke coming from a house at 5333 Dulce Ave., near West Lake Mead Boulevard and North Michael Way.
He said another neighbor went into the house and found a woman not moving in a back bedroom. He then found a man not moving in the living room, investigators said.
The coroner’s office hasn’t determined an official cause of death for the couple, but Szymanski said it appears to be fire-related. He said Martino suffered burns in the bedroom, and Wagner was found unconscious on the couch.
“He was laying in the front room slouched over the couch like he was trying to get out,” Szymanski said.
Most of the damage was in the rear of the home, near the back bedroom, firefighters said.
The fire appeared to be accidental in nature, officials said. Numerous extension cords were found in the bedroom where the fire started. The damage is estimated at $40,000.
Both Wagner and Martino had medical conditions, Szymanski said. They are the first fire-related deaths this year in the city of Las Vegas.
The fire department said 42 cats and one dog were also found dead in the house.