Tuesday, March 9, 2010 | 9:38 a.m.
- A city wrestles with its silence (11-15-2009)
- Former teacher’s trial date set in child porn case (7-13-2009)
- Former teacher pleads not guilty in child porn case (7-2-2009)
- Grand jury indicts former teacher in child porn case (6-26-2009)
- Hearing delayed for teacher accused of sex assault (4-21-2009)
- People who know teacher saddened over child sex allegations (4-9-2009)
- Teacher’s bail set at $1.3 million in sex assault case (4-7-2009)
- Teacher arrested for child porn to face more charges (4-2-2009)
- Teacher charged with possessing child porn to be placed on house arrest (3-31-2009)
- Teacher’s arrest on child porn charges stuns Boulder City (3-26-2009)
A former teacher at a Boulder City middle school and youth soccer coach pleaded guilty Tuesday in Clark County District Court to six counts including lewdness, sexual assault and production of pornography, all involving a child under the age of 14.
Charles Richard Rogers’ trial on 76 counts of sexual assault, lewdness with a minor and producing and possessing child pornography with about 10 victims -- all boys under 14 years old -- was set to begin March 15.
He pleaded guilty to three counts of lewdness with a child under the age of 14, two counts of sexual assault with a minor under the age of 14, and one count of the use of a minor under the age of 14 in the production of pornography. The other charges against him were dismissed.
Under an agreement with prosecutors, he’s facing a possible life sentence on each count.
Chief Deputy District Attorney Stacy Kollins said she intends to argue for the maximum, which would be six consecutive life sentences, at Rogers’ sentencing hearing, which is set for June 8.
“Given the impact of a trial on the victims, the agreement is probably in the interest of justice,” Kollins said after the hearing today in front of District Court Judge Michael Villani.
Rogers’ attorney, Bill Terry, declined to comment.
In accepting Rogers’ plea, Villani walked the 47-year-old Rogers through the agreement, which included graphic descriptions of the crimes. Some people in the packed courtroom, there for other business in front of the judge, winced as Rogers admitted to the explicit details.
Rogers’ arrest in March 2009 stunned the small town of Boulder City. He was a well-liked science teacher at Garrett Middle School and coached boys’ soccer.
The original indictment against Rogers included dozens of crimes that spanned from 1999 to 2009, including numerous charges of possession of child porn.
Rogers, known as “Rick,” had been a part-time Boulder City Police officer until 1991. He was also a licensed foster parent and fostered two children from 1996 until June 2008. He moved to the Las Vegas area in 1980 and began working for the Clark County School District in 1992.
He remains incarcerated in the Clark County Detention Center.