Las Vegas Sun

June 30, 2015

Currently: 97° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Las Vegas house fire displaces family of 5

Image

Las Vegas firefighters responded to a house fire Tuesday that displaced a family of five in the western valley. Officials said the fire was caused by an unattended candle and caused about $275,000 damage.

Updated Tuesday, April 26, 2011 | 11:01 p.m.

Fire

KSNV coverage of west valley house fire, April 26, 2011.

Las Vegas Fire and Rescue responded to a house fire Tuesday in the western valley that displaced a family of five.

The fire was started by an unattended candle in an upstairs bedroom and caused about $275,000 damage, officials said. The blaze was ruled accidental.

Fire department spokesman Tim Szymanski said firefighters responded about 4:20 p.m. to the fire in the 10000 block of Sailfish Circle, near Hualapai Road and Sahara Avenue. When firefighters arrived, heavy flames and smoke were coming from the two story home, fire officials said. Flames soon broke through the roof of the home and the roof caved in, officials said.

It took firefighters about 45 minutes to bring the fire under control, Szymanski said.

Two teens at the house told fire investigators they thought the candle was extinguished and later heard smoke alarms and saw thick smoke.

Four people inside the home escaped unharmed. Two dogs also survived the blaze, Szymanski said. The Red Cross is assisting the family — three adults and the two teens.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy