Friday, April 29, 2011 | 4:03 p.m.
A North Las Vegas man arrested after police say he opened fire Monday night on a reality TV show crew had taken Zoloft and Xanax before the shooting and had slurred speech, according to an arrest report released Friday.
Carlos Barron, 40, was booked Tuesday into the North Las Vegas Detention Center in connection with attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon, aiming or discharging a firearm where a person might be in danger and obstructing a police officer.
Police responded at 9:42 p.m. Monday after multiple people in the 2900 block of Vigilante Court called 911 to report hearing gunshots.
According to the police report, a “Repo Games” filming crew van and a security van were parked in front of Barron’s home in the 2900 block of Vigilante Court.
Witnesses from the security and filming crews told police Barron argued with security guards, saying “this isn’t your (expletive) parking spot, move your (expletive) car.”
Barron allegedly punched a passenger in the van and pulled a handgun, then held the gun to a crew member’s head, witnesses told police. The rest of the crew took cover.
Barron fired the gun toward crew members but no one was hit, the report said.
When police arrived, witnesses said Barron had gone back into his home. Police surrounded the house for two hours until they noticed Barron trying to jump the wall behind the home, the report said.
Police ordered Barron to get on the ground, but he refused to do so until an officer released a patrol dog. After the dog bit Barron, he fell to the ground and officers took him into custody.
When officers began to question Barron, they noticed his slurred speech and difficulty standing up, according to the report. Officers asked if he was on medication and Barron said he was prescribed Zoloft and Xanax, which he had taken four hours earlier.
He told police he carried a gun because his car recently was stolen and he had been shot at during the theft. That incident prompted Barron to protect himself with the weapon, police said. Barron told police he also had other guns in the home.
“During my entire contact with Barron, he was making random statements, and sometimes threats to officers at the scene. I had to consistently stop Barron from going off topic and concentrate on telling me his side of the story,” the report said.
The Clark County School District said earlier this week that Barron was employed at JD Smith Middle School in North Las Vegas.
He is being held at North Las Vegas Detention Center without bail.