Thursday, Oct. 20, 2011 | 2 a.m.
U.S. 93 construction
Construction on U.S. 93 in Boulder City will pass a milestone this week as work shifts to the north side of the road.
The highway has been under construction since August to remove a major bottleneck that restricted traffic on the main route between Las Vegas and Phoenix.
The $15.9 million project is an emergency fix for traffic woes that came after the Hoover Dam Bypass opened last fall.
Crews have been working on the south side of the road between Buchanan Boulevard and the Hacienda casino, leaving just one lane in each direction open to traffic on the north side of the road.
The lanes were shifted to the south side this morning so crews can work on the northern lanes, according to officials from the Nevada Department of Transportation and Fisher Sand & Gravel, the contractor.
Work should also be done this week on opening new turn lanes for Temple Rock Road, Nevada Way, Lakeview Drive and Ville Drive.
The new lane configuration will only be in place until Monday, when the lanes will shift again to allow crews to work on the road’s medians.
On Oct. 29, the closed lanes will partially open and the road will be two lanes in each direction from Buchannan to Pacifica Way. But there will still just be one lane open in each direction from Pacifica to the Hacienda.
The entire road should be open, with two lanes in each direction all the way through the region, before Thanksgiving, officials said.
Crews will return after the holiday to work on the shoulders of the road, but that work should not have serious impacts on motorists, officials said.
- Project to relieve Boulder City traffic put on fast track (8-4-2011)
- Some trucks to be temporarily banned from U.S. 93 in Boulder City (6-14-2011)
- Senate OKs bill for private toll road around Boulder City (4-26-2011)
- Boulder City residents say fix for traffic snarls can't come fast enough (4-7-2011)
- Boulder City tries to pass the truck back to Arizona (3-2-2011)
- NDOT accelerates plan to widen U.S. 93 near Hoover Dam bypass bridge (2-12-2011)
- Boulder City gets backing over bridge traffic complaints (12-29-2010)