Published Friday, Sept. 23, 2011 | 7:45 p.m.
Updated Saturday, Sept. 24, 2011 | 1:22 a.m.
Scores around the valley Coronado 17, Del Sol 0, Thursday night Arbor View 32, Cimarron-Memorial 20 Moapa Valley 18, Virgin Valley 0 Liberty 37, Green Valley 17 Bishop Gorman 55, Spring Valley 0 Rancho 37, Desert Pines 27 Valley 27, Chaparral 24 Legacy 45, Mojave 7 Las Vegas High 45, Sunrise Mountain 14 Canyon Springs 50, Eldorado 0 Foothill 28, Silverado 13 Centennial 48, Faith Lutheran 7 Clark 40, Pahrump Valley 26 Cheyenne 36, Shadow Ridge 13 Desert Oasis 56, Sierra Vista 14
Las Vegas Sun sports reporters Ray Brewer and Case Keefer engage in a wide-ranging high school football conversation. In addition to their usual recap and upcoming picks, they discuss the area's best kickers.
League play is heating up for Las Vegas Valley high school football teams, with Friday’s slate of games packed with several meaningful contests.
In the Southeast Division, rivals Liberty and Silverado play their annual rivalry game. Both teams like running the football, meaning the contest always features a physical style of play.
Also in the Southeast, Basic looks to get back on track against Coronado one week after losing to Green Valley in the Henderson Bowl. And, in a battle of teams with undefeated league records, Green Valley and Foothill are playing to stay in first place.
In the Northwest, league power Palo Verdeplays Cimarron-Memorial, while second place Arbor View will have its hands full with Legacy. Several feel a talented Legacy squad is capable of pulling off the upset.
In the Southwest, undefeated Bonanza puts its perfect record on the line against Desert Oasis. The winner would be in the driver’s seat to host a playoff game.
In the Northeast, perennial power Las Vegas host neighborhood rival Desert Pines — a game the players at Desert Pines consider their Super Bowl.
Check back all night as the games go final. We’ll get the scores posted in right rail as soon as they are reported.
• Canyon Springs wins second straight by getting past Chaparral
• Rancho cruises past Sunrise Mountain to break into win column
• Las Vegas’ Farrell Victor rushes for 212 yards in homecoming victory over Desert Pines
• Palo Verde downs Cimarron-Memorial 28-14
• After big win against Sierra Vista, Gorman has outscored league foes 244-13
• Early mistake fails to slow Basic against Coronado
• Late-game heroics position Green Valley at top of Southeast Division
• Durango rebounds with victory against Clark
• Desert Oasis erases 17-point halftime deficit to beat Bonanza
• Moapa Valley deals Del Sol its first loss of the season
• Valley wins second straight close game with 3-point victory against Eldorado
• Cheyenne starts slow, pours it on against Faith Lutheran
• Mojave snaps 17-game losing streak by beating Boulder City
• Arbor View gets balanced attack in victory over Legacy
• Record rushing day from Niko Kapeli carries Liberty past Silverado