Las Vegas Sun

April 24, 2014

Currently: 84° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Family of 8 displaced after home catches fire

Garage fire

A family of eight was able to escape unharmed from their northeast valley home Friday night after the garage caught fire while the father was working on a vehicle.

Clark County spokeswoman Stacey Welling said the man had disconnected the car’s gasoline tank when he accidentally knocked it over. The gas spill collided into a running natural gas powered dryer, sparking a flash fire.

The Fire Department arrived at the two-story home at 5479 Burkshire Drive near Christy Lane and Charleston Boulevard around 7:30 p.m., when the garage was consumed in flames, Welling said. The man and his wife were able to get their six children to safety without any injuries.

Welling said the fire was confined to the garage, but caused $80,000 in damage. Two vehicles inside the garage and a third parked in the driveway were also destroyed.

Welling said the family is displaced from their home.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy