Las Vegas Sun

September 30, 2014

Currently: 86° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Pizza boxes spark fire at Las Vegas Middle School

Updated Thursday, Dec. 20, 2012 | 4:43 p.m.

Pizza boxes left in an oven sparked a fire Thursday morning at a Las Vegas middle school and forced an evacuation, the Clark County Fire Department said.

Firefighters responded about 11:45 a.m. to Woodbury Middle School, near Harmon Avenue and Sandhill Road, Capt. John Steinbeck said.

“There were some boxes that had been left in the oven. When the oven was turned on, the fire started,” he said.

The fire was contained to the oven and was quickly put out with an extinguisher by kitchen staff. Staff and students at the school were evacuated for about an hour, Steinbeck said.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy