Wednesday, June 20, 2012 | 6:01 p.m.
- Surf the Musical
- Begins June 22; Sunday-Wednesday and Friday, 7 p.m.; Saturday, 5:30 p.m., $64-$144
- Planet Hollywood, 785-5055
1. The soundtrack is made up of songs by The Beach Boys, but that band isn’t formally endorsing the Las Vegas production. One thought is that the Boys are still smarting from a previous musical based on their catalog—2005’s Good Vibrations, which received largely poisonous reviews and closed after three months.
2. The director rocks: Kristin Hanggi, whose most recent production was the soaring Rock of Ages, a version of which is set to land at the Venetian in December.
3. The show is Zmed-tastic. One of the featured cast members is former Dance Fever host, T.J. Hooker star, Bachelor Party buddy and Grease 2 heartthrob Adrian Zmed. He plays Nick, and at age 58, seems not to have lost a step.
4.The music will be live and it should be excellent. The production’s band was assembled by the great guitarist/singer/songwriter Jerry Lopez, founder of Santa Fe and the Fat City Horns.