Jae C. Hong / AP
Wednesday, March 21, 2012 | 1:30 p.m.
- Las Vegas getting an all-heavyweight main card for next UFC event
- Meet the 16 competitors who fought their way into ‘The Ultimate Fighter Live’
- Martin Kampmann shows no quit in victory over Thiago Alves
- UFC on FX 2 bout between Demetrious Johnson, Ian McCall corrected to a draw
- Chael Sonnen praises Michael Bisping, trashes Anderson Silva
- Tito Ortiz making retirement plans in advance of UFC 140
- Dominick Cruz, Urijah Faber to fight this summer after 'TUF' coaching gig
- UFC section
- All MMA/boxing coverage
Local welterweight Martin Kampmann will have the chance to fight himself into title contention at home.
The UFC announced Wednesday that Kampmann (19-5 MMA, 10-4 UFC) would challenge Jake Ellenberger (27-5 MMA, 6-1 UFC) in the main event of “The Ultimate Fighter Live” finale June 1 at the Palms.
It’s a major opportunity for Kampmann, who has won two in a row, to put himself in line for a title shot against either champion Georges St. Pierre or interim champion Carlos Condit.
“Right now, Carlos Condit has a target on his back,” Kampmann said after a third-round submission victory over Thiago Alves earlier this month. “I’ve got a win over him. Since GSP is out, he’s the one everyone is gunning for, and I’d love to get a chance to fight him one more time. I know he’d want to get a chance to avenge that loss he has to me, so let’s go.”
With six straight wins, Ellenberger is ahead of Kampmann in the 170-pound pecking order. But that could all change this summer.
“I’m always looking for the next step in getting that title shot,” Ellenberger said after beating Diego Sanchez last month. “I’m always prepared.”
A flyweight rematch between Demetrious Johnson (15-2-1 MMA, 2-1-1 UFC) and Ian McCall (11-2-1 MMA, 0-0-1 UFC) that was previously rumored for “TUF Live” finale will not take place until the next week at UFC on FX 3.
The event is confirmed for June 8, but no location has been set.
Main card for Las Vegas’ Fourth of July weekend event coming together
Although the UFC hasn’t confirmed an expected bantamweight championship bout between Dominick Cruz and Urijah Faber as the headliner for UFC 148, the promotion has revealed several supporting pay-per-view fights.
Most notably, Tito Ortiz (16-10-1 MMA, 15-10-1 UFC) will fight for the final time against old nemesis Forrest Griffin (18-7 MMA, 9-5 UFC). Ortiz, who has split two previous meetings with Griffin, says he will retire following the contest no matter the result.
UFC 148 is slated for July 7 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. A fan expo at the Mandalay Bay Events Center will precede the card.
Ortiz and Griffin are two of three former champions appearing at UFC 148. Rich Franklin (28-6 MMA, 13-5 UFC) is also on the card as he meets dynamic striker and actor Cung Le (7-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC).
Michael Bisping (22-4 MMA, 12-4 UFC) and Tim Boetsch (15-4 MMA, 6-3 UFC) will also serve as a featured bout. The final announced bout for UFC 148 pits bantamweights Renan Barao (28-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC) against Jeff Hougland (10-4 MMA, 1-1 UFC).
Schedule coming together for the rest of the year
UFC President Dana White announced on Wednesday several forthcoming UFC stops at a press conference in Calgary, Alberta.
Calgary is the site of UFC 149, which featherweight champion Jose Aldo will headline against a to-be-determined opponent on July 21. White said the UFC would visit Canada twice more in 2012.
The promotion will hold UFC 152 September 22 in Toronto and UFC 154 November 17 in Montreal.
A venue is also set for UFC 147, which features a grudge match between Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen, according to White. Silva vs. Sonnen II will go down at an 80,000-seat soccer stadium in Rio de Janeiro — not Sao Paulo as originally planned — on June 16.