Published Friday, May 4, 2012 | 7:44 p.m.
Updated Saturday, May 5, 2012 | 11:03 a.m.
Site of blaze
Thick, black smoke filled the sky above a commercial building near McCarran International Airport where pellets of cardboard caught fire Friday.
The blaze started around 6:50 p.m. at 6770 Bermuda Road just south of the airport, Clark County Fire Department officials said.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze at the one-story plumbing supply warehouse at 7:39 p.m., fire officials said.
Wind gusts as high as 35 mph blew around McCarran during the time of the fire, according to the National Weather Service.
Firefighters prevented the storage area flames from spreading to the supply warehouse stocked with a reported $2.6 million worth of inventory, fire officials said.
About 40 firefighters responded to the two-alarm blaze, officials said. No injuries have been reported.
Officials have attributed the fire to a discarded cigarette and have determined the blaze was accidental. Damage is estimated to be around $175,000.
Airport officials said the fire did not occur on airport property and did not disrupt air traffic.