Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2012 | 12:05 p.m.
The 75-year-old woman who was the first confirmed case of West Nile virus this year in the Las Vegas Valley has died, the Southern Nevada Health District reported today.
The Health District, in a news release, provided few details about the woman but said she had been hospitalized before her death. She is the fourth person in Clark County to have died from West Nile-related causes since 2003, the Health District reports.
In addition, the Health District reported four new cases of West Nile virus locall.
One of the victims is 25-year-old woman who has what the Health District calls a “neuroinvasive form of the illness.” The others, a 68-year old woman and two men, 52 and 64 years old, respectively, had less serious forms of the virus.
The national Centers for Disease Control said West Nile virus infections and illness rates are on record pace this year with more than 3,500 cases and 147 deaths reported through Sept. 25.