Las Vegas Sun

November 26, 2015

Currently: 54° — Complete forecast

Immigration officials take interest in Henderson kidnapping suspects

Alejandro Sanchez-Sanchez

Alejandro Sanchez-Sanchez

Cesar Sanchez

Cesar Sanchez

The two men accused of kidnapping a 17-year-old Henderson girl last week are being detained on more than $1 million bonds and federal immigration detainers.

Special agents from the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement lodged immigration detainers against Alejandro Manuel Sanchez-Sanchez, 25, and Cesar Sanchez, 30, officials said.

The federal hold means ICE officials believe the pair might be deportable, officials said. As a result, federal officials are asking local authorities to notify ICE prior to any potential release.

The suspects appeared Tuesday morning in Henderson Justice Court. Their next hearing was scheduled for Sept. 11.

Alejandro Manuel Sanchez-Sanchez and Cesar Sanchez have been charged with first-degree kidnapping of a minor, conspiracy extortion, extortion, first-degree conspiracy kidnapping, child abuse and conspiracy child abuse, according to court records.

Henderson Police say the pair kidnapped Green Valley High School student Melissa Duran about 7:30 a.m. Friday from her home in the 300 block of Esquina Drive, near the intersection of Warm Springs Road and Arroyo Grande Boulevard.

Afterward, the suspects allegedly made ransom demands during phone calls to her parents.

SWAT officers rescued Duran early Saturday morning after serving search warrants at an apartment on Flower Avenue, near Stewart and Eastern avenues.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy