Las Vegas Sun

August 29, 2015

Currently: 95° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Spilled deep fryer causes blaze that injures five people

Image

Courtesy of Clark County

A fire started Saturday, Sept. 22, 2012, at a house at 5225 Reeder Circle when the deep fryer on the enclosed back porch was knocked over.

Updated Saturday, Sept. 22, 2012 | 3:21 p.m.

House fire

A spilled deep fryer caused a fire that killed two dogs and burned three adults and two children Saturday at a home near Hacienda Avenue and Maryland Parkway, Clark County spokesman Dan Kulin said.

Kulin said that more than a dozen friends and family members were at the single-story home at 5225 Reeder Circle when the deep fryer on the enclosed back porch was knocked over. The oil then caught fire because of a nearby open flame.

The fire spread into the home and attic.

Clark County Fire Department arrived about 11:10 a.m. and needed 17 minutes to knock down the flames, Kulin said. The victims were taken to University Medical Center with burns.

The two children were in critical condition, one adult was in serious condition and one adult had less-serious burns. Kulin didn't know the extent of the third adult's injuries.

The fire caused $40,000 in damage and displaced the family from the home, Kulin said.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy