Thursday, Feb. 28, 2013 | 6 p.m.
Hot on the heels of Ronda Rousey's stirring victory at last weekend's UFC 157 victory, catch a fight card featuring several ladies' fights at Tuff-n-Uff's Festibrawl, the organization where Rousey got her start. If you are looking for a fun family-friendly activity, check out the various St. Baldrick's head shaving events on Saturday or the Smile in Style fundraiser at Neiman Marcus. Here are our best entertainment bets for the weekend:
Friday: Led Zeppelin 2 at House of Blues
If we can't get the real thing here in Las Vegas, we can definitely enjoy the next best thing as Led Zeppelin 2- A Tribute to Led Zeppelin, performs all the band's biggest hits at House of Blues at Mandalay Bay. Tickets are $20-$25 and the show starts at 9 p.m.
Friday: Sake and Wine Social at Andrea's
Encore’s newest eatery, Andrea's, offers a Sake and Wine Social where guest can learn about sake and wine pairings while sampling small bites by Executive Chef Joseph Elevado and accompanying sake and wine pairings. The event costs $45 and begins at 4 p.m.
Friday and Saturday: CeeLo's 'Loberace' at Planet Hollywood
CeeLo Green presents "Loberace" at Planet Hollywood. His flamboyant sense of style, over-the-top creativity and soulful voice will be showcased in his new show. Tickets are $70-$188 and the show stats at 11 p.m. Friday and midnight Saturday.
Saturday: St. Baldrick's head shaving events across town
This year, several local venues are getting in on the fundraising action as people raise money to benefit St. Baldrick’s Foundation for cancer research by shaving their heads. There are several events to choose from:
- Vinyl at the Hard Rock presents Rock 'n' Shave featuring the Sin City Sinners, from 1-10 p.m. on Saturday. Sin City Sinners’ Manager Jason Green will serve as the host of the event and Jason Cook, guitarist of Five Finger Death Punch, and KVVU Channel 5 news anchor Jason Feinberg will volunteer as guest shavers. Sin City Sinners’ long-haired drummer Rob Cournoyer and KOMP 92.3 FM’s Isaac “Big Mex” Andrade will be saying goodbye to their locks in honor of the nonprofit. Throughout the day, guests can bid on various prizes and participate in multiple raffles with proceeds going to the organization. Raffle items include signed merchandise from the Deftones, Five Finger Death Punch, Sick Puppies, Ozzy Osbourne, Kofi Kingston, and more. At 8 p.m., Sin City Sinners will perform a free show.
- Rí Rá in the Shoppes at Mandalay Place hosts a head-shaving party with "Peep Diva" Cheeza and Josh Strickland from "Peepshow" serving as guest head-shavers. The event starts at 1 p.m.
- Nine Fine Irishmen at New York-New York hosts a head-shaving event from 1 – 11 p.m. Guests of all ages are invited to enjoy a fun-filled day on the Brooklyn Bridge with live performances by Spazmatics, Phoenix and Ri-Ra, festive drinks and more. Participants can shed their locks in support of the St. Baldrick’s Foundation and participants are eligible for special “shavecation” hotel packages at New York-New York, along with other fun perks like a complimentary beer or a free roller coaster ride.
- Mickie Finnz Fish House & Bar on Fremont St. hosts a head-shaving event where the Las Vegas Weekly's own Guy Bertuzzi shaves his head to raise money for St. Baldrick's.
- McMullan's Irish Pub teams up with the St. Baldrick's Foundation for a shaving party that will be streamed live online so shavees can share the experience with their supporters and donors.
Saturday: International Sportsmen’s Exposition at Las Vegas Convention Center
What do a seven-time world elk-calling champion, a former teacher with a master’s degree, an Under Armour-sponsored ultra-athlete, the long-time arena voice for the Professional Bull Riders, and a former National Physique Committee competitor have in common? They will all be on the Adventure Theater stage at the second annual International Sportsmen’s Exposition at the Las Vegas Convention Center. The expo will be Nevada’s largest consumer event for fishing, hunting and adventure travel.
This year’s list of seminar presenters includes Randy Newberg, award-winning host of the popular television hunting show “On You Own Adventures”, and Tiffany Haugen, author of many wild-game cookbooks, including her newest, “Tips for Cooking Game and Fish.”
The four-day event runs Thursday-Saturday from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. and Sunday from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tickets are $12 and youth under 15 plus active military with ID are free.
Saturday: Smile in Style at Neiman Marcus
Neiman Marcus Las Vegas is hosting the second annual Smile in Style beauty and fashion event that includes a designer beauty basket raffle benefiting Smiles for Survivors Foundation. Smile in Style takes place during Neiman Marcus’ Beauty Event at the Fashion Show mall. The free event starts at 4 p.m.
Saturday: Purina Pro Plan Incredible Dog Challenge at the Rio
The Purina Pro Plan Incredible Dog Challenge takes place at the Rio and will feature dogs from all across the country competing in a variety of Olympic-style events, including dog diving, freestyle flying disc, head-to-head weave poles, Jack Russell hurdle racing and agility. The free event begins at 11 a.m.
Saturday: Tuff-N-Uff's Festibrawl at the South Point
Less than a week after Tuff-N-Uff veteran Ronda Rousey’s historic UFC debut, Tuff-N-Uff continues the tradition of promoting women’s MMA at its FestiBrawl event at the South Point Arena. The event features full fight card including a fight between Brenna Larkin and Cynthia Calvillo plus a beer tasting and some of Las Vegas' finest food trucks. Doors open for the pre-fight events at 5:30 and tickets are $25-$50.
Friday and Monday: Archery lessons at Pacific Archery Sales
Every Friday and Monday night, Pacific Archery Sales, 4084 Schiff Dr., offers an archery class geared toward children. The Junior Olympic Archery Development classes begin at 6:30 p.m. Mondays and 5:15 p.m. and 7 p.m. Fridays. Pacific Archery provides equipment and instruction for kids 18 and younger. Admission is $10.
Friday: Bob Weir at the Pearl
Grateful Dead guitarist and vocalist Bob Weir will perform a solo, acoustic show at the Pearl along with special guest Jonathan Wilson. Tickets are $50-$75 and the show starts at 8 p.m.