Las Vegas Sun

October 22, 2014

Currently: 79° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

December murder trial for Strip shooting suspect to follow September rape trial

Image

Steve Marcus

Ammar Harris, the suspect in the Feb. 21 Las Vegas Strip shooting and car crash that killed three people, appears in court at the Regional Justice Center Wednesday, April 17, 2013.

Strip Shooting Suspect Makes Court Appearance

Ammar Harris, the suspect the Feb. 21 Las Vegas Strip shooting and car crash that killed three people, appears in court at the Regional Justice Center Wednesday, April  17, 2013. Launch slideshow »

Ammar Harris Back in Las Vegas

Ammar Harris is brought to the Clark County Detention Center on April 16, 2013, to be booked on charges related to a shooting and fiery crash on the Las Vegas Strip in which three people were killed Feb. 21, 2013. Launch slideshow »

Strip shooting crash

Smoke and flames billow from a burning vehicle following a shooting and multicar accident on the Las Vegas Strip early Thursday, Feb. 21, 2013. Launch slideshow »

A trial date has been set for the man accused in a shooting and car crash on the Las Vegas Strip that left three people dead.

Ammar Harris, 27, appeared Monday in Clark County District Court, shackled and wearing orange mittens so that he would not be able to grab or pick up anything that could help him escape. The mittens are standard for anyone deemed a high-risk transport, said Officer Larry Hadfield, a Metro Police spokesman. Special emergency response team officers also escorted Harris into court because of his status.

The trial — in which the District Attorney's Office plans to pursue the death penalty — was set to begin Dec. 2. In setting the trial date, Clark County District Judge Kathleen Delaney acknowledged prosecutors' concern the holiday season could make it tricky to secure jurors and witnesses. But Delaney said she thought everyone involved could make it work.

Harris faces three charges of first-degree murder and one charge of attempted murder for the carnage that ensued in the early morning hours of Feb. 21. Police reports and court records say Harris got into an argument in the valet area of the Aria with Kenneth Cherry Jr. After the two drove off in separate vehicles, Harris is accused of shooting at Cherry’s car as the two were driving north on Las Vegas Boulevard. Cherry subsequently lost control of the car and slammed into a cab, causing it to explode.

Cherry died, as did cab driver Michael Boldon, 62, and Sandra Sutton-Wasmund, 48, a businesswoman from Maple Valley, Wash., who was riding in the cab.

Freddy Walters, a passenger in Cherry’s car, was shot but survived.

Harris will appear in court before the murder trial for an unrelated rape case stemming from a 2010 incident for which Harris is facing felony sexual assault and robbery charges. The alleged victim resurfaced after the Strip shooting and subsequent manhunt for Harris. That case is scheduled to go to trial on Sept. 9, also in Delaney's court.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: 3 comments so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

  1. Comment removed by moderator. - -

  2. Justice please.

  3. Comment removed by moderator. Off Topic