Published Monday, March 4, 2013 | 11:24 a.m.
Updated Monday, March 4, 2013 | 12:09 p.m.
Nevada Assemblyman Steven Brooks faces four charges stemming from an alleged domestic dispute with his wife last month, Clark County District Attorney Steve Wolfson announced today.
Brooks, D-North Las Vegas, was arrested Feb. 10 after Metro Police investigated a report that he allegedly attacked his wife. When officers arrived, Brooks resisted arrest and attempted to assault the officers, the criminal complaint against Brooks said.
At one point, he reached for an officer’s firearm and proclaimed, “I’ve got your gun,” the complaint stated.
Brooks faces one felony count of resisting a public officer with use of a firearm.
He also faces one count each of assault on an officer, battery constituting domestic violence, and obstructing a public officer.
If convicted of the felony charge, Brooks could receive a maximum of five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.
Brooks previously was arrested Jan. 19 with a loaded gun after allegedly making threats against Democratic Speaker Marilyn Kirkpatrick, authorities said. The attorney general continues to review that investigation and no formal charges have been filed against Brooks in connection with that arrest. A spokeswoman for the attorney general today noted that the statute of limitation on a felony charge is three years.
In a separate incident, he was detained for psychiatric evaluation after police were called to a disturbance at his grandmother’s house.
Brooks is on paid leave from the Assembly and has been banned from entering the Legislative Building. The Assembly has also convened a select committee to determine whether Brooks is fit to continue serving in the Legislature.
- Brooks attempted to buy gun in Sparks; officials reviewing whether to approve sale (02-22-13)
- Assemblyman Brooks arrested on charges of domestic violence, obstruction(02-10-13)
- Brooks’ public behavior grows more erratic (02-08-2013)
- Brooks says he won’t take leave from Nevada Legislature (02-05-2013)
- Troubled lawmaker says he’s ‘lucid,’ ready to serve (02-01-2013)
- Brooks situation ‘festers’ as legislative leaders avoid dealing with it (01-25-2013)
- Police detain Brooks for psychiatric evaluation, confiscate sword (01-25-2013)
- Mounting fears over armed Nevada lawmaker’s mental state preceded arrest (01-23-2013)
- Armed assemblyman was prepared for a shootout, report says (01-22-2013)
- Assemblyman arrested in threat on lawmaker says he’ll return to Carson City (01-21-2013)
- Assemblyman in jail, accused of threatening fellow lawmaker (01-20-2013)