Thursday, March 21, 2013 | 11:37 a.m.
With the annual Mint 400 off-road race back this weekend, several streets already have been closed down around Fremont Street for race-related events.
From early Thursday morning through 10:30 p.m. Friday, the following streets will be closed to through traffic.
• Fremont, between Las Vegas Boulevard and 11th Street
• Stewart Avenue, from Ninth Street to Las Vegas Boulevard (will reopen overnight)
• Mesquite Avenue, from Las Vegas Boulevard to Ninth
• Sixth Street, from Mesquite to Carson Avenue
• Seventh Street, from Bonanza Road to Carson
• Eighth Street, from Ogden Avenue to Carson
• Ninth Street, from Ogden to Carson
• One lane closure on Las Vegas Boulevard from Carson to Ogden, northbound only.
The city recommends these alternate routes for north-south travel: Maryland Parkway, Las Vegas Boulevard, Fourth Street and Main Street; alternate east-west routes include Bridger Avenue, Ogden Avenue and Bonanza Road.
Joe Schoenmann doesn’t just cover downtown, he lives and works there. Schoenmann is Greenspun Media Group’s embedded downtown journalist, working from an office in the Emergency Arts building.