Las Vegas Sun

October 24, 2014

Currently: 68° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Teen cooking lunch catches house on fire, officials say

Updated Thursday, Aug. 14, 2014 | 2:27 p.m.

A teen was cooking lunch when the contents of a pan caught fire, and the blaze spread to the patio curtains and house, Las Vegas Fire & Rescue officials said.

The teen and a family dog escaped the house, which sustained about $75,000 damage, officials said.

Firefighters received reports at 12:06 p.m. of the fire at 2304 S. 6th St., near St. Louis and Sahara avenues, fire department spokesman Tim Szymanski said.

After the pan caught fire, the teen took it to the back patio, where he accidentally dropped it, Szymanski said. The fire spread to the patio curtains and then to the back of the hosue, he said.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze, Szymanski said.

The youth, whose parents were at work at the time of the fire, was checked for smoke inhalation, but he appeared to be fine, Szymanski said.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy