Sam Morris / Las Vegas Sun
Published Wednesday, Feb. 19, 2014 | 5:30 p.m.
Updated Wednesday, Feb. 19, 2014 | 11:38 p.m.
- You need to upgrade your Flash Player
Las Vegas Sun sports reporters Ray Brewer and Case Keefer glance over both the Sunrise and Sunset regional playoff brackets. Will there be any surprises or teams other than Bishop Gorman, Canyon Springs and Foothill representing Southern Nevada next week in Reno?
The two-time defending state champion Bishop Gorman High basketball team is the hands-down favorite to be the last team standing again this season.
But with the playoffs beginning tonight, the Gaels aren’t the lone team capable of winning the championship. The others aren’t far behind.
• Arbor View, led by wing Justin Burks, has just two defeats this season. And some feel Burks is the area’s best senior.
• Centennial advanced to the state championship game last season and has one of the area’s top backcourts with Troy Brown and Khalil Thompson.
• Defending Sunrise Region champion Canyon Springs went undefeated in Northeast League play and could end up meeting Gorman in next week’s state championship game. Canyon Springs has three Division I players and isn’t afraid to confront Gorman.
• Southeast League champion Foothill lost by just two points to Gorman in January. If both Foothill and Canyon Springs win playoff games today and Thursday, they’d meet for the Sunrise title Friday in what could easily be one of the best games of the year. They appear to be that even.
It all begins today with four quarterfinal games in the Sunrise and Sunset Regions. It’s a simple formula — win three games in three days to punch a ticket to next week’s state tournament in Reno.
The two most competitive quarterfinal games should be in the Sunset Region, with Cimarron-Memorial traveling to Durango in a matchup of near-even teams, and Palo Verde at Centennial in a rivalry game where the outcome is always close.
I’ll keep everyone posted as scores become final. Send the Sun game information, photos and scores on Twitter @raybrewer21 or by using the hashtags #sunstandout or #702hshoops.
• • •
Stories about playoff games around the valley: