Las Vegas Sun

October 22, 2014

Currently: 63° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Resident injured in fire at Las Vegas apartment complex

Updated Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2014 | 4:22 p.m.

Careless smoking is blamed for a fire this morning that ripped through an apartment on Las Vegas Boulevard and severely burned a man’s legs.

Las Vegas Fire & Rescue spokesman Tim Szymanski said the blaze erupted about 8:57 a.m. at the Veteran’s Village Apartments in the 1100 block of Las Vegas Boulevard South.

Neighbors heard smoke alarms inside the apartment and went inside to pull the man out. He was rushed to University Medical Center with critical injuries to both legs, Szymanski said. No one else was injured, he said.

Firefighters evacuated the first floor and extinguished the fire on the second floor within five minutes of their arrival Szymanski said.

Szymanski said the residents’ quick thinking saved the man’s life.

Careless smoking is the leading cause of fatal fires in the country, he noted.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy