Las Vegas Sun

November 22, 2014

Currently: 51° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Fire at vacant rental home causes $45,000 damage

A vacant rental home caught fire today when NV Energy switched the power on to prepare the home for future tenants.

Las Vegas Fire & Rescue responded about 7:20 a.m. to 1405 S. 11th St., near Maryland Parkway and Charleston Boulevard. Heavy smoke and flames were coming from a front window of the one-story home when firefighters arrived, Las Vegas Fire & Rescue spokesman Tim Szymanski said.

Firefighters located the fire in the kitchen and extinguished it within five minutes. The fire gutted the kitchen and part of the living room, causing about $45,000 damage, Szymanski said.

No one was injured.

Fire investigators believe the fire started near an electric stove after power was restored to the home. The previous occupant indicated that there had been problems with the appliance in the past, Szymanski said.

Las Vegas Fire & Rescue urges residents to shut off all circuit breakers before power is turned on to prevent fires.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy