Las Vegas Sun

November 23, 2014

Currently: 54° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Cigarette might have started fire that displaces 4

Four people were displaced from a home in the northwest valley Thursday afternoon after a possible cigarette fire damaged their garage, according to Las Vegas Fire & Rescue.

No one was injured in the fire, which caused $10,000 in damages and was put out in minutes by responding firefighters, spokesman Tim Szymanski said. When they put out the fire, they found cigarette smoking material in the area. Investigators learned that a resident had been smoking in the garage an hour before.

Two people at the three-story home at 10604 Blanca Peak Ave., near Cheyenne Avenue and the 215 Beltway when, the fire started began searching the house after the smoke alarm went off. They opened the garage door and found it full of black smoke.

When firefighters arrived at around 2 p.m. they could see smoke coming out of the garage and located the fire in the corner of the room and quickly put it out. Only the garage suffered damage. Investigators are still determining the cause of the fire, but haven't yet ruled out cigarettes.

The American Red Cross is assisting three adults and one child who live at the house. ​

Szymanski said that many people choose to smoke in the garage, even though it is the most dangerous place in the house to do so because of the common presence of flammable household items.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy