Las Vegas Sun

December 22, 2014

Currently: 60° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Fire consumes attic, injures 2 residents

​Two people were hospitalized Thursday afternoon after an electrical fire sparked by turning on a clothes dryer destroyed their attic and heavily damaged their roof near Sahara Avenue and Rancho Drive, according to Las Vegas Fire & Rescue.

The residents heard a "loud pop" in their attic just after switching on the appliance at around noon, spokesman Tim Szymanski said. When they investigated the attic, they found it full of smoke and called firefighters. The residents were treated for minor smoke inhalation.

Firefighters arrived at the one-story house at 3013 Merritt Ave. and immediately saw flames and smoke coming out of the attic vents. Hampered by wind and the old construction of the house, it took firefighters about 45 minutes to contain the fire in the attic. The damage is estimated at $125,000. Firefighters investigated and believe it was caused by an electrical malfunction.

The American Red Cross is assisting the three residents of the house.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy