Sun-Times Media, Alex Wroblewski / AP
Published Monday, July 7, 2014 | 10:12 a.m.
Updated Monday, July 7, 2014 | 12:25 p.m.
CHICAGO (AP) — Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy says shootings over the Fourth of July weekend that left at least nine people dead and more than 50 more injured included eight incidents that involved police.
During a news conference Monday, McCarthy said investigations were continuing but that officers who fired their weapons all appeared to be justified. The shootings included those in which two teenagers were fatally shot and another in which police shot at a man who tried to run them over with a car.
McCarthy says Chicago is still on pace to end the year with fewer homicides than last year. But he says the number of shooting incidents is up slightly over last year.