Published Tuesday, July 15, 2014 | 12:39 p.m.
Updated Tuesday, July 15, 2014 | 1:05 p.m.
Workers accidentally ruptured a natural gas line at UNLV, prompting the evacuation of several buildings on campus, according to Southwest Gas.
No injuries were reported, and crews were repairing the gas line, Southwest Gas spokesman Stephen Miller said.
A third-party contractor had been doing outdoor work about 11 a.m. when workers hit a 2-inch underground line, Miller said.
The contractor was renovating an area near a building leased to the Environmental Protection Agency in the middle of campus, according to UNLV spokesman Tony Allen.
The gas was promptly shut off and campus security evacuated three buildings as a safety precaution.