Las Vegas Sun

September 23, 2014

Currently: 78° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Firefighters battle blaze at northwest valley home

Updated Wednesday, July 23, 2014 | 8:45 p.m.

Las Vegas Fire & Rescue responded to a house fire this afternoon in the northwest valley, spokesman Tim Szymanski said.

The fire was caused by an electrical wiring problem inside the wall of the kitchen. It eventually spread to an area between the first and second floors, Szymanski said.

A neighbor alerted authorities to the fire, and firefighters arrived at 3:45 p.m. at 9005 Ballad Ave, near Cheyenne Ave and El Capitan Way, to find heavy smoke coming from the two-story house, Szymanski said.

The occupants of the house — two adults and one teen — were not home at the time of the fire, Szymanski said.

Crews successfully extinguished the fire and rescued a pet cat and dog in the process. No injuries were reported.

The fire caused an estimated $60,000 in damage, Szymanski said.

The damage was confined to the wall inside the kitchen area, the outside wall of the house, and an area between the first and second floor, Szymanski said.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy