Kim Moninger / Courtesy photo
Monday, July 28, 2014 | 11:49 a.m.
A few weeks ago, we published a list of 7 things that always happen in Las Vegas when it rains. The list prompted considerable response from readers, who had many of their own Vegas rain stories to share. With meteorologists predicting more rain today, here are six more things that always happen in Las Vegas when it rains.
1. Everything leaks. “The roof leaks at Circus Circus,” reader Brian Olsen reports. “And the airport, and the Flamingo, and any other place built more than 40 years ago,” says Jessica Evans.
2. Parents put their kids in winter coats. And hats, scarves and according to Yvette Sharrow, “a kid came into summer camp with mittens on!”
3. The city takes on a whole new smell. “All the dried up oil, bodily fluids, spilled food/drink, etc. that lay dormant on the sidewalks and streets come back to life,” says Bren Hobert.
4. Running red lights becomes the norm. The rainy days bring out locals’ rebellious side and suddenly no one will let a light slow them down.
5. What are windshield wipers? Many readers reported discovering their wipers suffer from dry rot or forgetting exactly how to turn them on.
6. And once again, nobody knows how to drive in the rain. Readers suggested a variety of hypotheses to explain why, but everyone agreed that Vegas drivers are just not prepared for Las Vegas storms.