Published Friday, June 6, 2014 | 3:30 p.m.
Updated Friday, June 6, 2014 | 8:32 p.m.
The Clark County Commission chose 18 businesses today to receive coveted permits to operate medical marijuana dispensaries in the unincorporated county.
The commission spent three days of public hearings this week reviewing 79 applications for dispensaries, where medical marijuana will be sold to patients. It is expected to be a multi-million-dollar industry.
The hearings culminated in a voting session today where commissioners cast seven rounds of ballots over three hours to shrink the field to the final 18 applicants.
After months spent preparing for the hearings, Commissioner Steve Sisolak said he thought they went off smoothly.
"I thought there would be some hiccups along the way," he said. "Usually something unexpected happens."
The lucrative potential of the medical marijuana industry drew applications that included prominent players from Las Vegas' political, real estate, medical and legal fields.
The winners today included four former state legislators: Richard Perkins, David Goldwater, Mark James and Chad Christensen.
Dr. Nick Spirtos, medical director at the Women's Cancer Center of Nevada, led a team including two other doctors that received a permit today.
Other names on the list include prominent local businessmen Troy Herbst and Jim Hammer, and Camille Ruvo, wife of philanthropist and alcohol distributor Larry Ruvo.
Among those not receiving permits were separate groups that included Brian Greenspun and Jamie Greenspun Gale, members of the family that owns the Las Vegas Sun.
The winning applicants still must make it through the state's selection process that starts in August.
The winning businesses and the locations of their proposed dispensaries are:
• CWNevada LLC, 6540 Blue Diamond Road
• Euphoria Wellness LLC, 7780 Jones Blvd.
• Clear River LLC, 1975 Casino Drive in Laughlin
• Just Quality LLC, 4235 Arctic Springs Ave.
• Nevada Medical Marijuana Dispensary Inc., 4240 W. Flamingo Road
• GB Sciences Nevada LLC, 4850 Fort Apache Road
• LVMC LLC, 6332 S. Rainbow Blvd.
• Integral Associates LLC, 5765 W. Tropicana Ave.
• Global Harmony LLC, 5630 Stephanie St.
• Desert Inn Enterprises Inc., 2900 E. Desert Inn Road
• The MedMen of Nevada, 4380 Boulder Highway
• Nevada Holistic Medicine LLC, 4660 S. Decatur Blvd.
• Nevada Organic Remedies, 6877 W. Sahara Ave.
• Inyo Fine Cannabis Dispensary LLC, 2520 S. Maryland Parkway
• TGIG LLC, 4633 Paradise Road
• Gravitas Nevada Ltd., 7885 W. Sahara Ave.
• The Clinic Nevada, 4070 Arville St.