Las Vegas Sun

August 22, 2014

Currently: 93° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Arizona fugitive won’t fight return from Las Vegas

A 46-year-old man told a Las Vegas judge he won't fight his transfer in custody back to Arizona, where he was sought as a fugitive after skipping trial last week on manslaughter, aggravated assault and drunken driving in a vehicle crash that killed a teenager.

Delbert Brechler waived extradition Tuesday in Las Vegas Justice Court.

Brechler was arrested Friday in Las Vegas, two days after he was convicted in Kingman, Arizona, of felony and misdemeanor charges in the July 2013 crash on Route 66 that killed 17-year-old Cody Raymond.

Brechler could face up to 36 years in prison at sentencing.

Police said Brechler's blood-alcohol percentage was more than 2½ times the legal limit when he crashed.

His lawyer argued the roadway was dark and Raymond's vehicle didn't have air bags.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy