Las Vegas Sun

September 1, 2014

Currently: 104° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Hot barbecue coals catch Henderson house on fire

Fire

What started as a barbecue ended with a garage fire Sunday night after the grill’s hot briquettes were dumped into a trash can, according to Henderson Fire Department officials.

Henderson firefighters responded about 8 p.m. to reports of the fire near Hillpoint Road and Arroyo Grande Boulevard in Green Valley. They found heavy smoke and fire coming from the house’s garage and threatening to spread to a neighbor’s home, Battalion Chief Doug Koopman said.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and prevented it from spreading. No one was injured, Koopman said.

The flames were confined to the garage and caused about $60,000 damage. The cause for the fire was ruled accidental, Koopman said.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy