Las Vegas Sun

October 24, 2014

Currently: 87° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Ice preparation machine fumes at Las Vegas ice rink send 7 to hospital

Fumes from an ice preparation machine are being blamed for the evacuation of an ice rink in Las Vegas and the sickening of several people who were sent to the hospital over the weekend.

Clark County Fire Battalion Chief Richard Reid says firefighters were called to the Las Vegas Ice Center about 10 a.m. Sunday after several people complained of being light-headed or sick.

Members of a Haz-Mat team that responded with fire and rescue workers determined the ice preparation machine was leaking carbon monoxide in the building. Seven people were transported to area hospitals. No one was seriously injured.

Reid told KSNV-TV they took the machine outside and the carbon monoxide levels soon returned to normal. The ice rink reopened later in the day.

CORRECTION: The Associated Press reported that a Zamboni machine was to blame for the fumes. A Zamboni company spokeswoman said the machine involved in the incident was not made by her company and is another brand. | (June 24, 2014)

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy