Las Vegas Sun

September 1, 2014

Currently: 102° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Apartment fire displaces North Las Vegas family

A family was displaced Thursday afternoon after a fire filled their North Las Vegas apartment with smoke, according to Las Vegas Fire & Rescue.

The fire is believed to have been caused by an air conditioning unit, spokesman Tim Szymanski said.

Firefighters received a call at 2:54 p.m. about a fire at the Desert Pines Apartments at 3750 E. Bonanza Road, near Pecos Road. When they arrived, they noticed a "light haze" inside the apartment, Szymanski said. The cause of the fire wasn't immediately clear until firefighters noticed smoke coming out of a window air conditioning unit.

They quickly shut it down and put out the fire, Szymanski said. The Red Cross is assisting two adults and three children displaced as a result.

Investigators are determining the extent of the damage.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy