Las Vegas Sun

October 25, 2014

Currently: 86° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Court rejects appeal in Las Vegas slaying

CARSON CITY —– A panel of the Nevada Supreme Court today rejected an appeal by Herbie F. Moore, who was convicted of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder in the shooting death of another man and the wounding two women in Las Vegas in June 2010.

The court denied Moore’s claims that evidence should have been suppressed and that witness testimony was coerced by police.

Moore was convicted of fatally shooting of Patrick Beverly and wounding Latisha Dorsey and Amber Lawrence. Moore and Beverly had an argument previously that day, according to court documents.

Moore’s mother told police he confessed the killing to her, according to court documents.

In his appeal, Moore claimed her testimony was gained through threats by police that she would lose custody of her children.

The court panel said there was testimony at trial that police told Moore’s mother she would lose custody if she lied and that she was scared. The panel said the testimony was properly presented to the jury

Moore was sentenced to 20 years to life plus a consecutive term of four to 10 years.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy