- Web site:
Chaparral High School has seen better days.
Once among the top performing schools in the Clark County School District, Chaparral High is undergoing changes to counter dismal test scores and the lowest graduation rate in the district.
The campus located near East Flamingo Road and U.S. 95 is one of five turnaround schools not meeting the expectations outlined in No Child Left Behind.
Chaparral is now looking to clean up its reputation, touching every aspect of the school from restrooms to test scores.
Changes weren’t received well by students who openly protested the cuts to faculty and the new order that banned the use of cell phones and music players during the school day.
Under stricter rules, tardy students are locked out of classrooms, bathroom breaks during class time aren’t allowed and the lunch hour was pushed back to 1:40 p.m.
Superintendent Dwight Jones told students he’s not settling for half successes.
“Right now, 50 percent of the kids in this school don’t graduate high school. Is that acceptable to you? Think about that. Right now, some of the friends that you’re with aren’t going to graduate. Is that OK? That’s unacceptable to me. I think you guys ought to kick all of us out.”
- Year built:
- Principal (Year Hired):
- David Wilson (2011)
- Approximately 2,250
- School Report Card:
Compiled by Gregan Wingert
- Suzanne Somers ends run of ‘Suzanne Sizzles’ at Westgate Las Vegas
- Photos: 30 models compete in Miss D Legs Contest at The D Las Vegas
- Review + photos: Steven Tyler shines with Aerosmith at MGM Grand
- Man who died in possible construction-related incident identified
- Gorman’s Cunningham breaks own national high jump record
- How every dollar is accounted for in casinos
- Henderson restaurant a little ‘steamie’; medical district welcomes new tenant
- Josh Huslig of Mo5aic: The story of five guys, 10 legs, 50 fingers and one voice
- Police ask for public’s help to find missing elderly man
- Co-founder of Real Gaming bullish about online potential
Locally owned and independent for more than 50 years.