- Web site:
Mojave High School is Rattler Nation, but really it’s home to underdogs.
Minutes from the Nellis Air Force Base the school is nestled near Commerce Street and West Ann Road, an area littered with foreclosed homes.
The school is attended by many students who are underprivileged or at-risk. After Mojave failed to meet No Child Left Behind standards it became one of five Clark County Schools determined to do a 180.
In order to make the turnaround a reality, Mojave has implemented new faculty, extended the school day by 20 minutes and is geared towards boosting school spirit.
“The problem we have right now is that our children aren’t proud of their own school,” Mojave principal Antonio Rael explained an August interview. “When our children begin to take pride in our school, our community will follow.”
- Year built:
- Rattle Snake
- Principal (Year Hired):
- Antonio Rael (2001)
- School motto:
- “Promoting Achievement, Creating Success”
- Mission Statement:
- “The Mission of the Mojave High School Community is to provide a safe learning environment that will empower students to develop excellence, pride, respect, and skills necessary for future success.”
- Approximately 2,000
- School Report Card:
Compiled by Gregan Wingert
- Las Vegas expects 315,000 visitors this Labor Day Weekend
- Metro officer wounded — apparently with AK-47 — during prowler call
- Extremists’ lives, deaths detailed in review of 2014 rampage in Las Vegas
- Celebrity preview: Drake, Jason Derulo, Kevin Hart, Chris Brown, Nelly, Lil Wayne, Flo Rida, Incubus
- College football by the odds: Las Vegas picks and preview of Week 1
- Man famous for MIT blackjack exploits to address casinos
- Fire causes $70,000 damage to Las Vegas residence
- Valley football will be relentless in rebuilding process
- Jailed clerk’s attorney: Marriage licenses for gays are void
- Friday night roundup: And Justice For All: Foothill running back Jackson punishes Silverado
Locally owned and independent for more than 50 years.