Glenn Pinkerton/Las Vegas News Bureau
Tuesday, May 14, 2013 | 12:39 p.m.
Fans of The Mirage headliners Boyz II Men shouldn’t worry that the smooth-as-silk R&B trio won’t be performing there June and July. Not only will they be back in August through December, but also we’ll know when they return if they will be here next year, too.
Tenor Shawn Stockman told me: “We’ve settled into Las Vegas, and the show is going pretty well. Billboard has rated it one of the Top 10 shows to see on the Strip.”
Baritone Nathan Morris chimed in: “It’s been fun to do for us. We dreamed of performing here and being a part of Las Vegas shows. We just enjoy doing what we do. It does feel good that people look at it that way, but that’s the stuff that’s extra.”
For their Mother’s Day show at their Mirage home in Terry Fator Theater on Sunday, the four-time Grammy Award winners handed out 100 roses to moms and fans. In my original review of the show March 5, I reported that Nathan had torn his calf muscle in dress rehearsal but still performed opening night despite the agonizing injury of the wrecked leg.
“It’s not completely healed,” he told me. “I still feel some soreness in it after a while, but as far as the tear itself, I don’t think it’s going to tear again. It’s adequate enough today. It’s only in the last three weeks I kinda took the strap off. Now I’m back in the gym trying to work it out, so I’m kinda rebuilding it for the most part.”
As new Las Vegas residents, the trio has launched their own charity foundation Boyz II Men House. “We basically support people and organizations in need. We figured if we’re going to be here in Las Vegas for a while, it’s important not to just take from the community when they buy tickets, but it’s also important to give back to the community that you want to be living around and be a part of. We’re excited about it, and the kids are excited about it. We do whatever we can,” Nathan said.
The guys launched their charity hosting a youth group from Speedway Children’s Charities with the After School All-Stars at Pole Position Raceway opposite Palms Place. They provided a revved-up, fun-filled afternoon of racing for the kids and even raced the indoor karts themselves.
Shawn added: “We’re about to jump on the road for a summer tour in the next two weeks, so we wanted to try to get something built and be a part of the community before we actually head out. We’re gone for about 2 1/2 months. And we can’t hop back and forth to Las Vegas. We’re going dark for about two months. We’ll be back for the hottest month of the year, in August, so the air conditioning had better be at its best!”
The two then happily revealed they are in negotiations for their run at The Mirage to continue into 2014. “We normally book six to eight months in advance, so we’re already getting calls from Europe and Australia and the normal places that we go. They want to start booking us for January and February, so we’ve got to make the renewal decision pretty quickly to find out if we’re staying here. But so far, so good — let’s put it that way!
“We face it now and have to make a decision in the next two months. By the time we get back, we’ll have to have made that decision.”
Robin Leach has been a journalist for more than 50 years and has spent the past decade giving readers the inside scoop on Las Vegas, the world’s premier platinum playground.
Follow Robin Leach on Twitter at Twitter.com/Robin_Leach.
Follow Vegas DeLuxe on Twitter at Twitter.com/vegasdeluxe.
Follow VDLX Editor Don Chareunsy on Twitter at Twitter.com/VDLXEditorDon.