Las Vegas Sun

November 18, 2017

Currently: 61° — Complete forecast

Jailed rock singer hauled into court

Click to enlarge photo

Ronald Radke

Being in jail already must have made waking up for an 8 a.m. court appointment a lot easier on Ronald Radke, the man U.S. Marshal's described as a "hardcore fugitive rocker" after arresting him earlier this month. Radke, who was arrested June 17 for failing to report to his probation officer, just so happened to have another pending case in court, on a different matter related to a months-old drug charge.

This morning, the older charge was hashed out in Judge Nancy Oesterle's court. Here are the basics: Radke agreed to pay a $530 fine after he was found in possession of drugs last year. He pleaded guilty, and agreed to pay the fine, at least according to his lawyers. When questioned, Radke told Oesterle he didn't know he agreed to make payment. She noted he had signed a document saying he would. To this, he just shook his head. Because Radke has stayed out of trouble (excepting this most recent charge) Oesterle agreed to give him another 30 days to pay the $530 fine, which Radke said he could immediately. When he makes payment, he'll be "released" on the drug case only. Of course, he'll be "released" right back into the Clark County Detention Center, where he's awaiting trial on a more serious charge.

Related story

Radke, a co-founder of hardcore punk band Escape the Fate, pleaded guilty to battery with substantial bodily harm in January. He was sentenced to five years probation and ordered to make almost $100,000 in restitution. The charges stemmed from a May 2006 fight that resulted in the fatal shooting of 18-year-old Michael Cook. Cook was feuding with a friend of Radke's, and was ultimately shot by friend of Radke's in a remote area of North Decatur Boulevard.

When Radke failed to report to his parole officer, he became a wanted man - his face was on the TV news and a team of marshals were hunting him. They arrested him in a decidedly un-punk location: a street corner in suburban Henderson. Now he awaits his next-early morning court wake up, to watch lawyers argue out this probation violation charge.

In court today, Radke looked calm. He played with the his handcuffs, looked out into the crowd for signs of family or friends (it appeared there were none) and otherwise sat like any other inmate, waiting to hear what will happen to him next.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy