Thursday, Oct. 2, 2008 | 11:35 a.m.
Palo Verde's football team appears to be on a mission. The Panthers didn't lose a game last year until they were knocked off by eventual state champion Bishop Gorman in the state semifinals.
This year -- at last, after five weeks of games -- it looks like Palo Verde could take the next step.
Following a three-touchdown victory against Centennial last Friday, the Panthers remain in the top spot of the Home News weekly rankings.
1. Palo Verde (5-0): The Panthers might not lose all year.
2. Bishop Gorman (5-1): The Gaels defense will keep them in a lot of games.
3. Las Vegas (4-1): The Wildcats showed why they are the Northeast Division's best team last Friday with an easy win against Chaparral.
4. Cheyenne (4-1): Another week, another blowout victory for the Desert Shields.
5. Del Sol (4-1): Del Sol easily handled Liberty last Friday.
6. Legacy (5-0): The Longhorns aren't playing like a third-year school.
7. Spring Valley (3-1): Close setback at Gorman is nothing to be ashamed about.
8. Basic (4-1): Wolves upset Silverado last Friday and sit in first place of the Southeast Division.
9. Cimarron-Memorial (3-2): Cimarron has won three straight games and is playing like the Spartans of old.
10. Arbor View (4-1): The Aggies lost to Cimarron-Memorial last Friday and have a tough test tomorrow against Legacy.
Sports Editor Ray Brewer can be reached at [email protected] or 990-2662.