Las Vegas Sun

December 13, 2018

Currently: 46° — Complete forecast

carson city:

State to begin taking domestic partners forms Monday

CARSON CITY – Heterosexual or same-sex couples may start filing their applications for registration as domestic partnership beginning Monday.

Secretary of State Ross Miller says he will accept pre-filing from Aug. 24 to Sept. 24 and the certificates will be issued Oct. 1 on the day the law takes effect.

Pam duPre, the information officer for Miller, said there is no estimate on how many domestic partners will sign up. One actuarial estimate is that 2.7 percent of Nevada households are domestic partnerships.

Sen. David Parks, D-Las Vegas, a key sponsor of the bill that became law, praised Miller “for trying to stay ahead of an unknown quantity” of applications. He looked at other states and estimates that 2,000 in Nevada may file in the first year as domestic partners.

He said Wisconsin enacted a domestic partnership law and 440 couples signed up in the first week. He noted, however, there is a big difference in population between Nevada and Wisconsin.

The domestic partnership is a type of civil contract, says Miller. And a couple will fill out a form that must be notarized and pay $50 to have it filed. A ceremonial certification will be available for an additional $15.

The law was approved by the 2009 Legislature over the veto of Gov. Jim Gibbons. It extends rights similar to those held by married couple. They include community property and debt and the right to seek financial support after a breakup.

The law does not require employers to provide insurance coverage to partners of employees.

Miller said “Oct. 1 will be a historic day. We would like as many couples as possible to be part of it by having their certificates in hand. My office will work hard to make it a special day for them.”

Completed declarations forms may be mailed or dropped off at the Las Vegas or Carson City offices of the secretary of state.

Miller says couples who wait until Oct. 1 to file may not get their certificate that day. It will depend on the number of forms received.

Forms are available under the licensing center at

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy