Thursday, April 1, 2010 | midnight
The 36th annual UNLVino wine tasting extravaganza is back for an incredible three days of Champagne, sake and wine tasting, and also to drum up some much appreciated fundage for UNLV's William F. Harrah College of Hotel Administration’s Food and Beverage Management Department.
To kick it off, UNLVino presents Bubble-Licious, a celebration of all things sparkling at Caesars’ new Garden of the Gods pool complex. “This event, Caesar himself would have attended,” says Michael Severino, Event Marketing GM of Southern Wine & Spirits. In fact, Caesar will be there!
But in case you still need more reasons to attend, here’s the UNLVino Hot List:
Bubble-Licious: Thursday, April 8, The Garden of the Gods, Caesars Palace, 7-10 p.m.
• 23 Champagne house booths featuring over 50 Champagnes and sparkling wines
• UNLVino’s traditional Dom Perignon 21-cork salute and Champagne bottle sabering to usher in the weekend
• Mayor Oscar Goodman throws out the first… bubbles
• The debut of three new Champagne cocktails by Southern Wine & Spirits’ Francesco Lafranconi and Armando Rosario featuring Skyy Ginger and all-organic juices
• Chocolate pairings by Executive Chef Francois Payard, also recipient of the Dom Perignon Awards of Excellence
• Three must-drink sparklers:
- Perrier Jouet, Fleur de Champagne
- Nicolas Feuillate, Brut Rose
- Pommery, Brut Rose
Sake Fever: Friday, April 9, Palms Pool & Bungalows, The Palms, 7-10 p.m.
• For the first time, being broken out from the Grand Tasting on its own
• Well over 150 sakes
• An authentic sake cask-breaking ceremony
• 50 brew masters from Japan (plus 20 interpreters)
• Food from 10 of the best Asian restaurants in Vegas plus passed appetizers from neighboring Little Buddha
• Passed sake cocktails
• Green screen photo op
• CEO and Golden Gaming owner Blake Sartini (a UNLV alumnus) receives the Dom Perignon Award of Excellence
• Live DJ and Playboy Bunnies
• Three must-try sakes:
- Niizawa Super 9 “Super Daiginjo”
- Jokigen Junmai Ginjo
- Toyo Bijin Okarakuchi Junmai Ginjo
• Um, hello?! Playboy Bunnies!
UNLVino Grand Tasting: Saturday, April 10, Bally’s Ballroom, 2-6 p.m.
• 120 booths and suppliers showcasing over 1000 wines
• Hotel school students preparing all foods and running the show for class credit
• Organic and biodynamic wines
• Aria president and COO William P. McBeath receives the Dom Perignon Award of Excellence
• A live auction featuring these must-bid items and more:
- Ace of Spades, Armand de Brignac, Private Label Champagne signed by Jay Z
- A Sonoma wine country tour: Take a trip for scholarship! Designer suitcase by Romero Britto, vineyard visits arranged by Southern Wine & Spirits, culinary adventures arranged by the Sonoma County Tourism Bureau. Round trip tickets and accommodations included.
- Kenny Chesney tickets and dinner for two at Nobu with limousine service
Tickets are still available here.