Friday, Jan. 15, 2010 | 2:05 a.m.
A Florida woman who was staying at the Monte Carlo when a fire broke out in January 2008 is suing the resort for damages, according to a lawsuit filed in Clark County District Court earlier this week.
Jean Bartoli claims the actions of the Monte Carlo on the day of the fire caused her serious and permanent injuries. She is suing the resort for damages in excess of $30,000.
Bartoli claims in the lawsuit that the Monte Carlo failed to "plan, design, control, supervise, repair, clean and maintain" the resort, resulting in the fire. The lawsuit alleges that the resort took little or no measures to control the fire and warn guests of it.
Once the fire was discovered, guests, including Bartoli, were taken to an area away from the resort and told to remain there until further notice, the lawsuit says. The lawsuit claims that Bartoli and others were subjected to smoke, fumes and other toxins from the fire.
Bartoli's lawyers did not return a call Thursday afternoon for more details about the claims made in the lawsuit.
MGM Mirage spokeswoman Yvette Monet said, "We have not yet been served with the lawsuit, and so we are unable to comment on it."
Fire Department and OSHA reports concluded that sparks from welding on the roof caused the Jan. 25, 2008, fire on the facade and upper floors of the hotel. A lawyer for the company involved in the work disputed those reports. The fire did an estimated $80 million damage.