Wednesday, Feb. 9, 2011 | 3:38 p.m.
Those hoping to buy fresh produce at Molto Vegas will have to wait at least another week. Organizers announced they will not be operating their weekly farmers market on Thursday.
But Clark County representatives say the county government didn't order the farmers market to shut down operations.
“They were allowed to operate (last week) and they are allowed to operate (now),” says county spokesman Dan Kulin. “The county staff works to support and help businesses. We make sure they are complying with law. They didn’t have a business license, so we told them to apply for one.”
Safety concerns can result in immediate shutdown of any business, Kulin says, but that was not an issue with Molto Vegas. The county took notice of the two-year-old farmers market after receiving an anonymous complaint on Jan. 25.
Molto Vegas is held inside Chef Mario Batali’s dry-aging facility, located on Dean Martin Drive in a light industrial area near the Strip. To hold a weekly wholesale distribution and farmers market, Molto Vegas would need a business license and a special-use permit.
While applying for that, they could operate with a special-event permit, Kulin said.
“We would allow them to continue to operate,” Kulin said.
Molto Vegas organizer Doug Taylor, who directly handled communication with the county, declined to comment on the matter, saying instead that his only focus is on getting the business license resolved. “I don’t want to get into an argument,” he said. “I’m just trying to make everything work.”