Friday, Jan. 28, 2011 | 2:05 a.m.
Authorities have announced the launch of a “no-questions-asked” program allowing community members to dispose of prescription medications at all Metro Police substations.
Officials from Clark County’s Water Reclamation District approached police in 2009 about finding a solution for people to get rid of old prescription medications without contaminating the region’s water supply, Deputy Chief Joe Lombardo said.
Police organized “Operation Medicine Cabinet” and received more than 2,400 pounds of medicine at three planned drop-off locations — underscoring the need for more collections, Lombardo said. “As you can see, it’s obviously a problem in the valley, and we do not want those medicines to enter into our water system,” he said.
In coordination with the Drug Enforcement Administration and Water Reclamation District, police installed drop-off boxes in the lobbies of Metro’s substations across the valley.
“We’re not asking you to identify yourself to bring your drugs in,” Lombardo said. “All we’re asking you to do is bring them in.”
Clark County Commissioner Larry Brown said officials hope the drop-off boxes prompt people to check the expiration dates on their medications and get rid of excess prescriptions.
Officials said the medicine disposal program is part of a nationwide effor to reduce contaminants in the country’s water supply, including Lake Mead.
The Water Reclamation District urges residents who cannot stop by police substations to read proper disposal methods on its website before getting rid of prescription or over-the-counter medications.
Medication drop-off boxes are available in the lobbies of the following Metro Police substations:
• Bolden Area Command, 1851 Stella Lake, Las Vegas 89106
• Convention Center Area Command, 750 Sierra Vista, Las Vegas 89169
• Enterprise Area Command, 6975 W. Windmill, Las Vegas 89113
• Northeast Area Command, 3750 Cecile, Las Vegas 89115
• Northwest Area Command, 9850 W. Cheyenne, Las Vegas 89129
• Southcentral Area Command, 4860 Las Vegas Blvd., Las Vegas 89119
• Southeast Area Command, 3675 E. Harmon Ave., Las Vegas 89121
• Laughlin Substation, 101 Laughlin Civic Way, Laughlin 89029
• Overton Substation, 320 N. Moapa Valley Blvd., Overton 89040